- Recreation Specialist - Part Time
- Go to our website »
ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is recruiting for a part-time Recreation Specialist assigned to the Neighborhood Services Unit focusing on serving the East Gilroy neighborhood. The position will open and close for pro-social classes at San Ysidro Park, assist in supervising and coordinating pro-social and/or group classes related to education, health, wellness, safety and gang prevention as well as assist other community events and the recreation division as needed. The main goal of the City of Gilroy's Recreation Department is to offer excellent recreation programs that provide community members with a wide range of opportunities to celebrate life and community through people, parks, programs, and special events which are delivered by a team of employees dedicated to offering quality recreational, social, and cultural services to all Gilroy residents.
Under general supervision of a Recreation Supervisor or Recreation Coordinator, the Recreation Specialist will plan, organize, and direct the physical, recreational, and social activities of assigned recreation programs. Program areas include, but are not limited to: Aquatics, Adaptive (special needs), Adult and/or Youth Sports such as organized leagues or classes, After School Program, Cultural Arts, Facility Attendant, Senior Center, Special Events, Summer Camps, Theater, and Youth Center/Youth Services. This is an entry-level, paraprofessional position supporting the Recreation Department.
THE TEAM AND THE WORK
The Recreation Division is a fun, energetic, hard-working team that is always willing to support one another's program. We are nimble and able to pivot on a moment's notice, regardless of the situation. Recreation is dedicated to advancing the social benefits of recreation for our community. We work collaboratively with the community to provide positive alternative programs to support and enhance the quality of life for all members of the community.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL
- Be comfortable interacting with youth and adults from different ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Have strong organization skills and the ability to plan months ahead.
- Bilingual English/Spanish (speak, read, and write).
- Have great communication skills.
- Be reliable and punctual.
- Be energetic and bring enthusiasm to assigned program every day.
- Be responsible to open, prepare, and close facilities on time and ensure the facility is safely used by participants and/or renters.
- Have strong computer skills (using email, excel spreadsheets for data analysis and other relevant software).
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
REQUIREMENTS, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent AND sixty (60) semester units (or equivalent quarter units) from an accredited college or university. An additional year (a third year) of related paid work experience can substitute for up to thirty (30) of the semester college units noted above.
- Two years of paid work experience working in a recreation program-type setting.
- Must have experience supervising children, teens, adults, and/or seniors and communicating with parents and the public.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office software programs such as Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills to perform assigned work.
- Valid tuberculosis (TB) Certificate.
- Possess (within 12 months of hire) and maintain a valid First Aid and CPR/AED certification.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License along with a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Pass a post-offer medical examination, which includes a drug test.
- Pass an employment background check including a Department of Justice criminal record check.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity, please attach and submit the following required items with your electronic NEOGOV application:
- A completed City of Gilroy online application including supplemental question responses.
- A Resume and Cover Letter are preferred
City Application Form - Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the 'Apply' tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
This position is open until filled. To be considered, please submit all application materials. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process.
Recruitment Schedule - Key Dates*
Application Closing Date: Open until filled
Priority Screening: Week of April 10, 2023
(*Note: The examination process/schedule may be changed as needed by the City.)
In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass an employment background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City's expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include your e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency