- Permit Technician
- Go to our website »
Community Development Department
Building, Life, & Environmental Safety Division
$5,939.00 - $7,218.83 Monthly, Plus Excellent Benefits
Opportunity to work a 9/80 work schedule with every other Friday off.
An additional 5% step (Step F) is available to employees in this job classification after completion of five years of service, one year at Step E, and a good performance evaluation.
The City of Gilroy is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is recruiting for a Permit Technician in the Community Development Department, Building Division. The goal of this Department is to provide comprehensive plan check and building inspection services in accordance with local, state, and federal statutes to ensure compliance in construction with approved building codes as measure of ensuring the life safety of buildings and people.
In this exciting position, the Permit Technician will work under the general supervision of the Building Official, and will provide basic plan check review, permit issuance, and perform related duties. Additionally, the Permit Technician will provide information to the public, assist with plans/permit applications, computation of fees, routing plans, issue permits and perform a variety of clerical and technical tasks in support of assigned duties.
The Community Development team is a small close-knit group with a strong sense of camaraderie. We leverage our individual experience and expertise for collaborative problem solving and we enjoy discussing, learning, and planning new programs and how they can be strategically implemented.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL
- Have knowledge with Planning, Building, and Fire concepts and practices.
- Provide top-of-the-line customer service with excellent follow through and communication both verbally and in writing with internal and external customers.
- Be highly organized, and demonstrate ability to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously, and be able to prioritize tasks.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills when working with a diverse group of people.
- Enjoy a fast-paced environment.
- Quickly assess knowledge level of customers and tailor responses based on their knowledge (i.e. homeowners to seasoned developers).
- Possess an International Code Council (ICC) Permit Technician certification.
- Have strong technology skills to include Permit and/or Land Management System experience and Microsoft Office experience.
EXAMPLES OF FIRST YEAR PROJECTS
- Assist and educate customers, developers, contractors, and homeowners with the EnerGov citizen portal.
- Create reports to help track metrics with EnerGov database.
- Update City website and handouts to reflect new streamlining processes.
- Providing input on department processes and contribute ideas to improve efficiencies and reduce permitting time.
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two (2) years of general office support experience. Experience in a municipal building department, construction company or architectural firm is preferred.
- Possession of an Associate's degree in building construction technology or a related field is highly desirable, and such education may be substituted for related experience on a year-by-year basis.
- Basic knowledge of a permit tracking system.
- Willingness to continue education and training by learning new skills as changes occur. Expand skills by taking additional courses, seminars, workshops, and individual study.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle (s).
- Experience in a Planning, Building or Public Works Department, contracting, designing firm or in a related field is highly desirable.
- Pass an employment background check to include a Department of Justice criminal record check.
- Pass a post-offer medical examination, which includes a drug test.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) an added plus, but not required.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity please attach and submit the following required items with your NEOGOV application:
- A completed City of Gilroy online application including supplemental responses.
- A detailed resume that highlights your related skills and experience is preferred.
- A detailed cover letter expressing your interest in the position with the City of Gilroy is preferred.
- Three (3) professional references
City Application Form - Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the 'Apply' tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
Recruitment Schedule - Key Dates*
- Application Closing Date: Sunday, April 2, 2023
- Oral Board: Wednesday, April 26, 2023
- Finalist Interview: TBD
(*Note: The examination process/schedule may be changed as needed by the City.)
Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass an employment background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City's expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency