EBMUD Job Title: Community Affairs Representative II (Mokelumne and American River Watersheds/Sacramento San Joaquin Bay-Delta)
Salary Info: $126,936 - $146,940 Annually, Plus Excellent Benefits + Retirement
Opens online at www.ebmud.com/jobs on Monday, September 18, 2023
Online applications must be received by 4:30 p.m. on October 13, 2023
Internal Reference # 23-125
East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) invites qualified candidates to apply for the Community Affairs Representative II position in EBMUD's Public Affairs Office. The position is based in EBMUD's Lodi, CA office but reports to a Senior Community Affairs Representative based in Oakland, CA. The Community Affairs Representative II (Mokelumne and American River Watersheds/Sacramento San Joaquin Bay-Delta) will serve as a liaison with local water users, government agencies, local community organizations, local tribal entities, and advocacy groups in the Mokelumne and American River watersheds and within the Sacramento San Joaquin Bay-Delta.
The incumbent in this position will be responsible for activities involving planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing government and community relations programs to support EBMUD's water supply, operations, and conservation goals and objectives. Duties may include:
- Using the framework of the District's Strategic Communications Plan and with guidance from the Senior Community Affairs Representative, develop and implement an Upcountry engagement strategy to establish and enhance positive relationships with local stakeholders, media, and community groups (and identify areas for improved engagement and advocacy) in support of EBMUD's mission, priorities, programs, and projects.
- Assign, develop, manage, and conduct community relations programs for EBMUD projects and coordinate distribution of information through regular engagement with local government representatives, non-governmental organizations, community members, and various other groups and stakeholders, including local media in coordination with Public Affairs staff in Oakland.
- Implement public involvement elements of EBMUD infrastructure projects, including preparation and distribution of fact sheets, presentations, and other materials to interested community groups and as needed, to the news media and social media channels.
- Attend, participate, present, and report out on community and local government meetings. Stay abreast of community issues; represent EBMUD's interests; inform groups of EBMUD policies and concerns; maintain strong working relationships with community and local government leaders.
- Plan, organize, and manage annual Pardee BBQ event to convene upcountry stakeholders, local government officials, speakers, and other guests.
- Monitor progress of local relevant proposals, ordinances, or regulations under consideration by local or regional agencies, and provide timely information to EBMUD management and staff.
- Deliver presentations to communities, public agencies, and other interest groups on relevant topics.
- Keep informed of current state regulations, codes, ordinances, and legislation as they relate to EBMUD policies and as they affect local entities.
- Request management's comments on various local issues of concern to EBMUD; offer options and alternative responses to specific issues or concerns from local agencies and other groups.
- Work with Public Affairs staff to coordinate public information and participation on issues affecting local government agencies and other groups, including meetings, presentations, and events - some of which are outside of normal business hours.
- Conduct and coordinate tours of EBMUD facilities, and identify and enhance Upcountry education opportunities, including sponsorships and engagement with local schools and others.
- Work with staff from other departments to review and coordinate public engagement efforts, including presentations and follow-up.
- Assist with community outreach and communications during emergency operations, including participating in regular drills, trainings, and workshops.
- Perform duties on special projects as directed by supervisor.
- Perform activities such as database coordination, creating reports, setting up virtual meetings, etc.
In addition, competitive candidates will have:
- Working knowledge of community engagement and communications, issues relating to water policy, and regulatory agency functions.
- Demonstrated skill in effective oral communication before large and small groups; working with contentious audiences; expertise with social media; explaining technical subjects to lay audiences; writing clear, concise letters, memos, and reports; and understanding local government processes for enactment of regulations, ordinances, codes, and laws.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other staff and effectively represent EBMUD.
EBMUD offers an excellent benefits program that includes: paid vacation, holidays and sick leave; family health insurance coverage; family dental and vision care plans; retirement plan (reciprocal with CalPERS); 401(k), 401(a) and 457(b) tax-deferred retirement plans; transit subsidy; tuition reimbursement; and opportunities for professional growth including training and career development.
- Completion of four years of college resulting in graduation or its equivalent, with a major in public administration, communications, public relations, political science, or a closely related field.
- Four years of experience as a lobbyist, legislative analyst, community relations consultant, public relations staff member or in a related career field.
- Must possess a valid California driver's license and have a satisfactory driving record.
- Must be willing to work evenings, weekends, and other additional hours as needed.
Please note: EBMUD requires all employees to provide written proof of vaccination. Those employees with sincerely held religious beliefs or valid medical reasons, as determined by EBMUD, will be exempt from vaccination requirements. Contact EBMUD Human Resources, Employee Services, at (510) 287-0764 for additional questions.
Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com/jobs by 4:30 p.m., Friday, October 13, 2023. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
EBMUD is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability
Job Hotline: (510) 287-0735
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency