- Chief Business Development Officer
- Go to our website »
Chief Business Development Officer
California Water Service
California Water Service
The Chief Business Development Officer is responsible for development, implementation and success of California Water Service Group's business development growth strategy, and for leading and managing all aspects of the Company's business development program, including pursuit and capture of existing and new-development water and wastewater systems, military base and similar asset-heavy water and wastewater systems, operation and management contracts of water and wastewater systems, leasing and concessions of water and wastewater systems, and other Company business model aligned opportunities. The Chief Business Development Office is responsible for the cultivation of opportunities, development of proposals in alignment with Company goals and risk appetite, pursuit activities, preliminary due diligence, negotiation and execution of agreements. The position is also responsible for the successful integration of growth prospects into the Company's business units, including final due diligence, financial performance, regulatory compliance, and operational integrity. In the short term, this position will be overseen by the Vice President of Corporate Development and is located in San Jose, CA.
- Develops, implements and manages the Group's business development growth strategy to achieve Corporate goals and targets.
- Manages Corporate Development and Integration staff, including prioritizing and assigning work, conducting performance evaluations, overseeing training and development, and making hiring, termination and disciplinary recommendations.
- Monitors the marketplace for events or triggers which might lead to new opportunities.
- Maintains and grows a robust business development pipeline of prospects.
- Responsible for the cultivation, development, pursuit and capture of existing and new-development water and wastewater systems through acquisition, military base and similar asset-heavy water and wastewater systems through acquisition or long-term contract, asset leases or concessions of water and wastewater systems through contract, and operation and management contracts and other opportunities aligned with the Company's business model.
- Responsible for analysis of, and responses to, Request for Proposals received from third parties.
- Responsible for the financial, risk, and opportunity analysis of business development prospects.
- Responsible for the development of written new business proposals, and obtaining executive authorization for pursuit and capture consistent with the Delegation of Authority protocol.
- Responsible for the negotiation and execution of new business acquisition agreements and/or other agreements as appropriate.
- Oversees business integrations until the business is fully integrated into district field operations and operating in a stable manner, consistent with applicable company standards.
- Leads and executes system divestitures as directed.
- Works closely with District Managers in California, General Managers in Hawaii, Washington, Texas and New Mexico, and other Company departments including legal, finance, engineering, human resources, regulatory, operations, and water quality/environmental to insure strong cross functional engagement in business development activities.
- Educates internal and external stakeholders including board members on potential contract terms to ensure broad understanding of deal particulars and potential contractual obligations.
- Engages key internal stakeholders to ensure organizational support, resources are available to execute necessary activities, timelines are developed and adhered to, policies and procedures are followed, sound fiscal management is maintained, and issues are identified and resolved in a timely manner.
- Acts as central point of contact, and source of facts, for internal and external stakeholders.
- Leads regular update meetings with key officers, board members and affected managers regarding the status of business development projects and business integrations.
- For business development and business integration processes, oversees the relationship with the seller or owner client and is the primary contact with client, educating client about Company's business, operations and standards, as necessary.
- Oversees integration steering committees, due diligence process, and integration process to ensure that all appropriate departments are engaged in each transition process, resources are available to execute necessary activities, timelines are developed and adhered to, policies and procedures are implemented and followed, sound fiscal management is maintained, and issues are identified and resolved in a timely manner.
- For new business development and business integration processes, reviews, fully understands, administers, and educates internal and external stakeholders on purchase or operations contracts to ensure that Company is fully meeting its contractual obligations, but is not providing services for which it is not being compensated.
- Oversees the employee transition process for personnel who are converting from previous employer to the Company, and employee recruitment process for new employees needed to staff the new business.
- Ensures that external stakeholder engagement and approval processes, (for example Public Utilities Commissions, Water Resources Control Board, Department of Health, Department of Drinking Water, etc.) are working properly and that appropriate internal subject matter experts are engaged in completing their respective processes and obtaining necessary permits and approvals in a timely manner.
- Ensures and fosters acceptance of Cal Water within the local communities in which we operate.
- Develops templates, policies, and procedures for best management and efficient functioning of the business development and business integration processes.
- Maintains detailed files and documentation adequate for internal review and management of all business development projects; prospective, current, and closed.
- Works and complies with Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) and Limits of Authority controls.
- Communicates complex concepts in a manner that will be understood by a variety of audiences.
- Member of Officer Group, reporting issues and providing Officers with an understanding of impacts.
- Supports the Company's Continuous Improvement approach to business.
- Attend meetings and trainings as directed by California Water Service Group and subsidiaries.
- Perform other duties as assigned to fulfill business operational needs and objectives.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, with major course work in Accounting, Finance, Business, Economics, Engineering, or a degree involving quantitative and policy analysis, or equivalent experience; advanced degree preferred.
- Self-starter with strong project management skills.
- Sufficient experience to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this position.
- Strong experience in the water industry and regulatory process.
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills.
- Proficient in the use of all Microsoft Office applications.
- Valid U.S. State Driver License.
- Previous experience in successfully managing a team of industry professionals.
- Previous experience in successfully leading a cross-functional team involving members from other organizations.
- In-depth knowledge of regulatory law and policy.
- Knowledge and thorough understanding of the utility industry.
- Knowledge of applicable State, Federal and local laws and regulations.
- Ability to interpret and apply business and governmental laws and regulations.
- Ability to apply company policies, procedures and business practices.
- Understanding of utility accounting and finance concepts.
- Advanced operational knowledge of water preferred.
- Ability to use appropriate discretion when dealing with confidential or proprietary information
- Excellent interpersonal skills, enthusiasm, and commitment to providing outstanding customer service.
- Ability to effectively work with customers, agencies, and personnel.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with those encountered in the course of conducting business.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to manage people and programs.
- Good problem-solving and troubleshooting skills.
Salary Range: $200,000 - $400,000
Deadline to submit resume is Sunday, March 26, 2023.
The Equal Opportunity Policy of the Company is based upon the philosophy that all people should be treated fairly and with dignity. California Water Service, Hawaii Water Service, New Mexico Water Service and Washington Water Service do not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or any other protected class. The Company makes all employment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner. EOE, VET, DISABILITIES.
To apply, please visit: https://calwatergroup.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/CWSG/job/San-Jose-CA/Chief-Business-Development-Officer_R1581
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency